Gifted & Talented Programme
Skinners’ Academy aims to support our gifted and talented students in the classroom but also through a number of enrichment activities and extension programmes. Students will take part in different activities in curriculum areas and as a gifted and talented cohort.
What is ‘gifted and talented’?
‘Gifted & talented‘ is a term used in schools to describe children who have the potential to develop significantly beyond what is expected for their age. ‘Gifted‘ refers to a child who has abilities in one or more academic subjects, such as English or maths. ‘Talented‘ refers to a child who has skills in a practical area such as music, sport or art.
Below are some examples of events and activities that our gifted and talented cohort undertake:
- Bridge the Gap programme, in conjunction with Queen Mary University for Y8 upwards for Gifted pupils who are interested in pursuing a career in either Medicine or Dentistry
- Y10 Residential at Clare College, Cambridge
- “The subject matters” workshop at Emmanuel College, Cambridge for Gifted Y10 pupils
- Aspiration Day at Wadham College, Oxford for Gifted Y9 pupils
- University Challenge at University College London for Gifted Y9 pupils
- Masterclasses run by every department for G&T pupils
- Into University workshops for a variety of pupils in Y7-11
- Loughborough University trip for talented Year 11 pupils